Electrical Xpress Ltd (“Electrical”) are committed to complying with the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018, once enacted. Looking after the personal information you share with us is very important, and we want you to be confident that your personal data is kept safely and securely and to understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised shopping experience.
We have published this notice to help you understand
- how and why Electrical collect information from you;
- who we share your information with, why and on what basis;and
- what your rights are.
If we make changes to this notice we will notify you by updating it on our website. Electrical will be what is known as the ‘Data Controller’ of the personal data you provide to us, and we will sometimes refer to ourselves in this notice as “we” or “us”. By Data Controller, this means Electrical determines the purposes and way in which any personal data are, or will be, processed.
How do we use your information?
Data Protection says that we are allowed to use and share your personal data only where we have a proper reason to do so. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons and these are:
- Contract – your personal information is processed in order to fulfil a contractual arrangement e.g. in order to send you your Directory catalogue.
- Consent – where you agree to us using your information in this way e.g. for storing your payment card details.
- Legitimate Interests – this means the interests of Electrical in managing our business to allow us to provide you with the best products and service in the most secure and appropriate way e.g. to transfer your data to certain Third Party’s such as delivery partners.
- Legal Obligation – where there is statutory or other legal requirement to share the information e.g. when we have to share your information for law enforcement purposes.
Who we share your information with and why
Electrical works with a number of trusted suppliers, agencies and businesses in order to provide you the high quality goods and services you expect from us such as delivery companies, credit reference agencies, fraud prevention agencies, product technicians visiting your home and market research companies amongst others.
Some examples of the categories of third parties with whom we share your data are:
Electrical works with a number of trusted partners who supply products and services on our behalf. All partners are subject to thorough security checks, and will only hold the minimum amount of personal information needed in order to fulfil the orders you place or provide a service on our behalf.
In order for you to receive your goods, Electrical works with a number of delivery partners. Again, we only pass limited information to them in order to ensure delivery of your items.
Electrical works with trusted third party payment processing providers in order to securely take and manage payments.
In order to process your application we will supply your personal information to credit reference agencies (CRA’s) and they will give us information about you, such as your financial history. We do this to assess your creditworthiness and product suitability, check your identity, manage your account, trace, recover debts, and prevent criminal activity.
We will also continue to exchange information about you with the CRAs on an ongoing basis, including about your settled accounts and any debts not fully repaid on time. CRAs will share your information with other organisations. Your data will be linked to the data of your spouse, any joint applicants or other financial associates.
Keeping in touch with you
We want to keep you up to date with information about new ranges, special offers and improvements to our website. When you set your account up, we will ask you if you want to receive this type of marketing information.
Electrical will not share your information with companies outside of Electrical Retail Ltd for their marketing purposes. Electrical Retail Ltd includes Electrical Stores, Electrical Directory and electricalxpressplumbing.co.uk.
If you decide you do not want to receive this marketing information you can request that we stop by writing to the Data Protection Officer at the address provided above, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling the Contact Centre on 0208 767 1175, via My Account online or the unsubscribe link within the email.
You may continue to receive mailings for a short period while your request is dealt with.
How long we keep your information
If we collect your personal information, the length of time we retain it is determined by several factors including the purpose for which we use that information and our obligations under other laws.
We may need your personal information to establish, bring or defend legal claims. For this purpose, we will always retain your personal information for 7 years after the date it is no longer needed by us for any of the purposes listed under How we use your information above. The only exceptions to this are where:
- the law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
- you exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law;
- we bring or defend a legal claim or other proceedings during the period we retain your personal information, in which case we will retain your personal information until those proceedings have concluded and no further appeals are possible; or
- in limited cases, existing or future law or a court or regulator requires us to keep your personal information for a longer or shorter period.